As lockdown draws to a close, we are beginning to approach the time when hotels will be able to open their doors again.
At Wellness Factory, we love all things sustainable! So, we have curated a list of some of our favourite sustainable, eco hotels, located in the South-West of England throughout Cornwall, Devon, Dorset, and Somerset.
If you’re planning a staycation this Summer once things have reopened, we strongly suggest checking out some of these incredible sustainable hotels…
The Green House Hotel - Dorset
The Green House is a luxury eco-hotel located in Bournemouth, close to beaches, restaurants, and events venues. They also have the exceptional Arbor restaurant onsite for delicious staycation meals.
We are starting off the list strong since the Green House is the greenest hotel in the UK! Every single little detail that goes into this hotel has been carefully considered for sustainability – from the energy and power consumption to the walls, floors, and furniture, to their cleaning products and toilet roll. They really have covered everything.
- The Green House provides energy-efficient lighting and offers car charging points in their car park to support those who have made the switch to an electric vehicle.
- They use the sun to heat their water and generate lots of their electrical power using natural heat and a power unit that keeps the hotel warm.
- Their 100% wool carpets are locally made, and the exceptionally comfortable eco beds are sourced from a leading UK manufacturer.
- The solid wood furniture is made in the UK using trees felled by storms or tree surgeons – no deforestation here! Plus, much of their furniture is upcycled to reduce waste.
- The wallpaper is FSC-certified and made in the UK using vegetable inks. The wall paint is sourced locally from an eco paint supplier.
- All waste oil from the kitchen is re-purposed for fuel, their coffee beans are composted, and they grow their own vegetables on-site.
- The exceptional on-site Arbor restaurant offers local, fresh, and organic (where possible) produce from suppliers with high animal welfare standards.
- They also offer locally brewed beer and spirits, whilst their wine list has been carefully crafted with the carbon footprint of every bottle in mind.
- The milk is delivered in pails which are then picked up and refilled to reduce packaging waste.
- All staff members are trained in sustainability, and all suppliers are carefully assessed against recognised environmental standards.
Now, sustainability aside, The Green House offers a wonderful stay with a warm, friendly, and relaxed atmosphere. Plus, it has been rated one of the UK’s top 50 wedding venues – if that’s what you’re looking for!
At the Arbor restaurant, you’ll find plenty of vegetarian and vegan options, as well as meals free from allergens.
One of the most unique and appealing things about The Green House - aside from its eco status - is its huge focus on health and wellbeing. They provide food options designed to boost your mood, as well as free yoga sessions, and massages and facials from the comfort of your own room.
Nearby, you’ll find an excellent gym where you can get £5 entry as a guest at The Green House. They have also recommended the best local running and walking routes that you can experience during your stay.
With 32 total rooms, you have plenty of choices. There are 4 room options in ascending size order, from small double to master double. Every room is beautifully furnished with responsibly sourced decor, upcycled furniture, and unique antiques.
The Scarlet Hotel - Cornwall
The Scarlet is a luxury eco-hotel, just for grown-ups! Located in Cornwall with cliff, sea, and sky views, this hotel boasts airy spaces, an Ayurvedic inspired spa, relaxation lounges, and places to relax fireside and poolside. The entire place simply oozes with relaxing, calming, and luxurious energy – the kind of place that you’ll leave feeling refreshed and stress-free.
The Scarlet Hotel strives to be a place of luxury without the unnecessary overconsumption often associated with a luxurious lifestyle.
- They source all of their products and services with careful consideration of the life cycle.
- They constantly reduce the amount of waste that gets sent to landfill.
- They monitor their energy consumption with the aim to reduce their carbon footprint year-on-year.
- The whole team at The Scarlet Hotel follows a ‘Cherish Our World’ ethos – looking after our planet is at the forefront of everything they do.
- Along with their sister hotel, The Scarlet has set up a community fund to support new and existing projects in their local area. This was set up with the goal to improve the local natural environment and provide social benefit for people living in the area.
- For example, they fund Surfers Against Sewage – an organisation that supports the cleanliness of seas and beaches.
- They also fund CoaST: One Planet Tourism Network. This promotes and enables sustainable tourism in Cornwall.
One of the most unique and appealing features of The Scarlet Hotel is that every room has its very own outdoor space. From private courtyard gardens to terraces, to balconies, you’ll be given access to private outdoor spaces whichever room you stay in.
There are five different room types at The Scarlet, with varying sizes and views. You may choose to have views of the beautiful gardens, the cliffs, or the beach, sea, and sky, in ascending size order from ‘Just Right’ to ‘Indulgent’.
The Scarlet offers wonderfully indulgent spa breaks with the Scarlet Spa and the Day Spa on-site. They also provide relaxation breaks (such as yoga retreats), celebration breaks, and festive breaks. As a hotel guest at The Scarlet, you’ll have access to a full spa treatment menu.
The Scarlet restaurant offers incredible food made with inspiring flavours and unique sensations. Each meal is carefully designed by their expert head chef, including breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea, and dinner.
The Pig Hotel - Cornwall / Dorset / Devon / Somerset
The Pig Hotel has several locations throughout the UK – eight to be exact. Four of these locations are in the South-West of England, each boasting unique features but carrying the same fundamental principles and atmosphere throughout.
The Pig Hotels are unique, characterful places. The traditional buildings with beautiful gardens give off a relaxed, warming energy, making you feel like you’re truly at home.
The Pig Hotel chain is always looking for new ways to reduce its carbon footprint, care for the environment, and give back to local communities.
- Their 25-mile rule insists that all food and drink produce is sourced from local suppliers within a 25-mile radius of each individual hotel.
- The Pig Hotel at the New Forest is an award-winning member of the Sustainable Restaurant association – however, all locations follow the same principles.
- They produce their own fruit and vegetables meaning there is no packaging or travel involved. Plus, they grow their mushrooms on old coffee grounds which helps to reduce waste even further.
- They collect their own chicken, duck, and quail eggs, and they only source fish that is approved by the marine conservation society.
- They compost all garden waste and recycle all cooking oil.
- Drinking water at The Pig Hotel is sourced from Belu water – they provide British natural mineral water contained in 35% recycled glass bottles. They also source filtration systems that allow them to filter and bottle water on-site. Best of all, 100% of the profits that go to Belu water are used to help end global water poverty with the organisation WaterAid.
- At The Pig Hotel, they cure their own meats to reduce their food miles, they have their own beehives for honey, and they support local vineyards for wine.
- And of course, all glass, cardboard, paper, and plastic is always recycled. They also recycle all coffee capsules and menus left in guest rooms.
- They don’t use any plastic stirrers, straws, cotton buds, toothbrushes, etc.
- They use LED bulbs to help reduce their energy consumption.
- Lastly, the hotels are made with reclaimed and natural building materials and are furnished with antique and upcycled furniture.
The Pig Hotel has an obsessive commitment to homegrown and local produce. Not only is this great for maximising sustainability, but it also means their restaurant menu is filled with simple food that is well done. For homely, relaxed eating and delicious, comforting flavours, this is the place to be.
You can find treatment rooms at The Pig Hotel, offering deeply relaxing full-body massages, sugar scrubs, hydrating body wraps, detoxifying mud wraps, and more. Best of all, these treatments use organic, seaweed-based products, high-quality botanical ingredients, and aromatherapy oils all using ancient traditions and sustainable processes.
The rooms provide a wonderful mix of luxury with a homely charm. You’ll find unique features and characteristics in every room, but one thing that stays 100% consistent is the incredibly comfortable beds!
Each location of The Pig Hotel has 4 standard rooms in ascending size order from ‘Snug’ to ‘Big Comfy’. In addition to these, each location has its own unique guest rooms available. For example, in Devon, you’ll find The Attic room, The Horsebox, and Old Thatch Cottage amongst others. In Cornwall, you can stay in the Garden Wagons, and in Dorset, you can treat yourself to the Pig Hut room! These are just a few of the options – there are absolutely loads to choose from, and you’ll always see exactly what you’re getting on their website.